Inspire Youth To Achieve Optimal Health Long TermBecome a Certified Youth Nutrition Specialist in 6 months or less.
This comprehensive Youth Nutrition Specialist Certification program is designed for individuals who want to teach active children and teens healthy nutrition habits that will serve them through to adulthood.
For parents, coaches, personal trainers, or nutrition consultants who desire to help children manage an ideal weight and/or seek to improve their young athlete's energy and athletic performance, the AFPA Youth Nutrition Specialist program will assist you in helping your child reach their wellness goals.
What Can I Do as a Youth Nutrition Specialist?
You play a significant part in the life of a growing athlete. That’s why you need to learn proven nutritional strategies for maximizing health excellence and athletic development in youth.
The optimum way for your young clients and athletes to feel their best is to develop an energizing, performance-enhancing nutrition plan, tailored to their body's specific composition.
As an AFPA Certified Youth Nutrition Specialist, you will be able to:
- Advise and present a balanced nutritional strategy based on the child’s energy requirements that leads to optimal health and performance
- Offer nutritional plans for specific weight maintenance goals, weight loss or weight gain goals, and athletic or sports events and training
- Recognize optimal dietary habits of children and adolescents that can, and should, be an important part of training for all kids who participate in sports
- Identify alternatives to the standard food plate by providing vegetarian dietary choices for individuals who prefer that option
- Determine and employ adequate and appropriate carbohydrate, fat, and dietary protein intake to enhance not only athletic performance but also to support proper growth and development of the child and adolescent athlete
- Instruct on proper hydration for the exercising child and adolescent athlete to guarantee optimal sports performance and avoidance of adverse health problems
- Identify the most common nutritional supplements taken by youth, how they affect the body, and the potential ergogenic effects and safety concerns for young athletes
Join over 130,000 AFPA certified professionals worldwide.With a 27-year legacy of accredited expertise, AFPA is a frontrunner in nutrition and wellness programs. We’re proud to offer the best variety of flexible, affordable, and accessible programs on the market.
Study Anywhere At Your Own Pace
Enjoy the freedom to study on your own time from anywhere in the world.
Study guidelines and schedules are provided to help keep you on track. Take the test online when you’re ready!
Affordable and Flexible Payment Options
Get certified without breaking the bank.
Our certifications cost significantly less than degree programs, so they’re affordable programs with minimum financial risk.Financing options are available for all AFPA certification programs.
Kickstart Your Career with Included Young Client Resources
Support doesn’t stop once you’re certified.
You get exclusive access to bonus resources so that you have a solid foundation to start your career as a Youth Nutrition Specialist.
All Learning Materials Included
Your tuition covers everything.
All Course Materials
Online Final Exam
Business Resources Included
Upon enrollment, we provide you with exclusive resources to help you establish, optimize, grow, and build your nutrition business.
Unlimited Student Support
Call, email, or chat with our educational advisors as often as you need before, during, and even after enrollment.
What You’ll Get:
This Youth Nutrition Certification program will prepare you to work with youth in establishing healthy eating habits. You’ll leave with the essential skills that you'll need to begin your journey as a successful Youth Nutrition Specialist.
- All course materials
- 2 course eBooks
- Downloadable PDFs
- Study guidelines
- Online final exam
- Bonus materials
- Nutrition, health, and safety for young children resources manual
- Nutritional considerations for performance in young athletes
- Vegetarian diets: Advantages for children
A Look Inside The Curriculum:
Develop nutrition programs that enhance youth performance. You’ll learn:
Nutrition for Youths: A Dietary Approach to Lifelong Health
You’ll study how building a diet with fruits, vegetables, healthful grains, and legumes from a young age will help children prefer those foods throughout their lives. You’ll also learn to employ tactics that promote healthy eating. Topics include:
- Major nutrient needs, vitamins and minerals
- Energy needs and body composition considerations
- The importance of proper fluid and hydration
- Consequences of inadequate nutrition
- Dietary supplement considerations for youth
Meal Prep Considerations for Children and Adolescents
Discover how to structure appropriate diets for youth that meet their needs for growth and performance, as well as consider their dietary preferences. Topics include:
- Mainstream diets, vegetarian diets and dieting
- Family meals – preparation, environment, and eating out
- Healing the body with food
- Healthy snacking for success
Understanding The Link Between Nutrition and Youth Athletic Performance
Use science-based approaches to work with children on improving their overall health and athletic development. Topics include:
- The growing athlete: body and brain
- Sports nutrition needs for child and adolescent athletes
- Clinical considerations for the child and adolescent athlete
Special Considerations, Weight Management, and Supplements
Generate a new understanding of special considerations to diet and weight management, as well as which supplements or performance aids are safe and effective for your young client. Topics include:
- Effects of caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol
- Drugs, steroids, and youth
- Vegetarian options for school lunch program
- Safe weight loss and maintenance practices
“There is definitely a lot of information to take in, but I am enjoying all that I am learning!
Excited for what the future holds!”
Kimberly S.Verified Buyer
Is This Program Right For Me?The Youth Nutrition Specialist Certification Program is perfect for anyone who is:
- Passionate about helping youth improve their physical, mental, social, and emotional development
- A parent who wants to support their child in developing strong healthy habits
- Already an established health professional, such as a personal trainer, and wanting to diversify or expand their health education
Are There Payment Plans?
Pick the loan that fits your budget and make payments over three, six, or 12 months. Our payment plans offer instant approval and are safe and secure.Learn more
Do I Qualify?
To enroll in the Youth Nutrition Certification Program, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
Have a solid understanding of the English language.
- Hold a valid Nutrition and Wellness Consultant Certification or similar certification strongly recommended
- You need a minimum final exam grade of 85% to pass.
A $75.00 retest fee will apply.
After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Youth Nutrition Specialist” on your certificate.