The AFPA Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification program will teach you how to give educated nutritional guidance and nutrition coaching to individuals seeking nutritional advice on weight management and enhancing health and fitness performance and overall lifestyle. You will learn the fundamental skills of counseling strategies and protocol, complemented by action-based worksheets and practical case studies. Learn how to effectively communicate with clients to reach their desired nutritional and lifestyle goals.
Select Your Delivery Method:
- 100% Digital Access - Digital Access to the full, mobile-ready interactive eBooks, robust learning platform, student practice activities, assignments, assessments and online final exam.
- Textbooks Only - Print textbooks, no online learning platform, assignments and online exam.
- Digital Access + Textbooks - Digital Access as noted above, plus a print version of each textbook for this course available for students.
- All AFPA Nutrition Certification programs curriculum fully meets the AADP’s (American Association of Drugless Practitioners) board educational requirements, giving AFPA students a thorough knowledge of courses set-forth by the Institute and making them eligible to become a Board Certified Nutrition Professional.
- AFPA Nutrition Certification programs curriculum fully meets the ANMAB’s accreditation board educational requirements. Graduates of AFPA are eligible to apply to be a board certified Holistic Health Care Practitioner through the ANMAB (American Naturopathic Medical Accreditation Board).
Learning Format & What's Included:
- Comprehensive eBooks and/or textbooks, self-assessment quizzes and activities, video lectures
- Online Testing – Submit your assignments and final examination online and receive your results immediately
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete the examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- Study at Your Own Pace - Course study guidelines and completion schedule to stay on track
- All Learning Materials - 2 Certification and Consulting eBooks/textbooks, video lecture downloads
- Counseling and Lifestyle Management Forms for Starting Your Own Business
- Worksheets and Questionnaires to document and assess counseling sessions
- Forms, Worksheets and Checklists provided as downloads and as perforated forms for easy duplication
- Practice Quizzes - Self assessments to test progress
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees - All materials and examination included
- Weekly Blog - Sign up for the AFPA blog for the latest health and nutrition research and trends
- No Travel Necessary
The Role of a Nutrition & Wellness Consultant:
- To assist clients in healthy eating habits and meeting their weight management and nutritional goals.
- To offer a sound nutritional plan.
- To advise and present a balanced nutritional strategy.
- To be effective in discussing and advising on weight management plans.
- To offer nutritional plans for optimizing health.
- Click here for The AFPA Nutrition Professionals Scope of Practice
- Click here for Offering Nutrition Advice: What You Can and Can't Do
Opportunities in the Nutrition and Wellness Field:
- Nutrition and Wellness Consulting – private consulting services for individuals with weight issues, lack of energy, or physical illness
- Being a Nutrition Coach, Health Coach or Lifestyle Coach - obtaining your Nutrition & Wellness certification will increase your earning potential
- Food Supplement Sales – vitamin, mineral and supplement distributors rely on educated nutrition sales consultants to market and sell their products
- Nutrition and Wellness Writer – many magazines accept and pay for articles for publication
- Corporate Wellness Centers – many corporations have wellness programs that include nutritional consulting and personal training
- Weight Loss Centers – diet centers and weight management organizations seek educated consultants to assists in management of clients, facilities and support meetings
- The facility may have a current client base that you can consult with to help them obtain their goals
- Health Food and Nutrition Retail Stores – natural food stores, organic markets and supplement stores employ staff with an education in nutrition and wellness
- Nutrition and Wellness Education – provide nutrition education lectures at schools, recreation centers, community centers and special groups that seek information regarding nutrition and optimal health
- Click here for the Nutritionist Job Titles: The Ultimate Guide
- Click here for The Ultimate Nutrition Professional Salary Guide
Nutrition and Wellness Consultant Certification Course Learning Objectives:
- Define the major functions of the macro and micro nutrients as well as oxygen.
- Identify practical food sources of micro and macronutrients.
- Examine the effects of food choices on physical fitness and health.
- Discuss the principles of energy balance.
- Evaluate the use of various weight control diets to meet appropriate weight goals.
- Employ methods used to assess nutrition status.
- Explain how dietary recommendations are formulated.
- Examine methods used to carry out nutrition research.
- Distinguish sound nutritional information from unreliable nutritional information.
- Recognize appropriate behavioral change modifications and dietary approaches for different ages and populations.
- Construct a foundation for wellness nutrition based on current scientific research.
- Identify how to reinforce positive food habits and behaviors.
- Analyze the role of diet in causing and preventing various diseases, particularly chronic diseases.
- Recognize healthy diet and food choices, and explain why such choices will help prevent health problems.
- Formulate and design your own personalized meal plan and meal plans for clients.
- Examine common myths and fallacies concerning diet.
Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification Course Topics Include, but Are Not Limited To:
- The Art of Understanding Nutrition Certification
- The Pursuit of a Healthy Diet
- The Challenge of Dietary Guidelines
- Nutrition Anatomy: Digestion and Metabolism
- Carbohydrates: Simple, Complex and Guidelines; Hypoglycemia, Diabetes, and Sugar
- Lipids: Fats and Oils; Good Fats and Bad Fats, Understanding Fat Replacers
- Proteins and Amino Acids: Protein quality, recommendations, and the vegetarian diet
- Vitamins: Classifications and Guidelines; Antioxidants, Energy Metabolism, and Phytonutrients
- Water, Minerals and Alcohol:Absorption, Energy Metabolism and Nutritional Impact
- Weight Management: Weight Gain, Loss and Successful Weight Loss Strategies
- Nutrition and Fitness: Energy, Fuels and Fluids for Physical Activity
- Pregnancy and Nutrition Requirements
- Nutrition Needs and Recommendations for Infants, Children and Teens
- Nutrition for Needs and Recommendations for Older Adults and Seniors
- Food Safety and Foodbourne Illnesses
- Food Storage and Preparation
- Aids to Calculations and the Food Exchange
- American Dietary Guidelines and Recommendations
- Canadian Dietary Guidelines and Recommendations
- Chapter Notes
- Table of Food Composition
Online lecture component; how nutrition is related to the following:
- Heart Disease
- Kidney Failure
- Liver Failure
- Adverse Drug Reactions
- Boosting Immunity
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Essential Tremor
- Western Diseases
- Heart Disease Is a Choice
- Atherosclerosis in Childhood
- Unclogging Our Arteries
- Preventing Cervical Cancer
- Female Reproductive Health
- Male Reproductive Health
- Treating Constipation
- Starving Cancer Growth
- Treating Cancer with Plants
- Preventing Bladder Infections
- Preventing Food Poisoning
- Lifestyle Modification
- Effective Counseling Relationship
- Nutrition Counseling Skills
- The Counseling Interview
- Goal Setting
- Design a Plan of Action
- Dietary Assessment
- Energy Determinations, Physical Assessment, Documentation/Charting
- Strategies to Promote Change
- Making Behavior Change Last
- Role of A Nutrition Counselor in Physical Activity Counseling
- Ending the Counseling Relationship
- Professionalism in the Helping Relationship
- Group Counseling
- Lifestyle Management Forms
- Worksheets and Questionnaires to Document And Assess Counseling Sessions
- Forms and Checklists for Easy Duplication
Added Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification Course Features:
- Pictorial summaries found at the end of each chapter summarize the chapter’s main points using corresponding images - ideal for visual learners
- A new spotlight on cultural foods has been added to better represent the broadness of ethnic differences, food preferences, and dietary needs among consumers
- Completely updated, this course includes the latest research and data on DRIs, healthy fats, organic foods, athletes and supplements, nutrition and cancer, and more
- Also discussed are food selection and preparation tips to illuminate the ways in which the concepts of nutrition can be applied to everyday life; students learn about making healthy food and lifestyle
- Concluding each chapter is a listing of pertinent websites, encouraging students to look beyond the text for additional, useful information
- Self-paced, self-study, complete your course within 6 months or less
- After successful completion of assignments and final exam, you will earn the title of “Certified Nutrition & Wellness Consultant”
Requirements for enrollment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Passing an online exam with 85% or higher.
- Exam is based on the course materials. No added materials needed.
- There are 250 questions, multiple choice/true/false.
- The examination must be completed within 28 days of receipt of your testing link.
- Once you submit your examination for grading and pass, you will receive your grade and credentials immediately.
- If you do not pass, there is a $75.00 retest fee. You will be allowed to retest within 24 business hours.
Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification Accreditation:
- The AFPA Nutrition & Wellness Consultant, Weight Management Consultant, Holistic Nutrition curriculum fully meets the American Naturopathic Medical Accreditation Board’s (ANMAB) Accreditation Board educational requirements.
- AFPA has been granted full board accreditation by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners.
I had an extremely positive and valuable experience during the AFPA certification process. I enjoyed the self-pacing aspect of the process and thought the learning procedure was very thorough. I will be using the AFPA website as a reference for future questions that I will have.