The AFPA Sports Conditioning Specialist Certification course presents the principles and practices of a new era of athletic training. Learn to build a conditioning program through testing and building up nine essential fitness components including power, strength, speed, quickness, coordination, agility, flexibility, local muscular endurance, and cardiovascular aerobic capacity and endurance. Next you will learn the training exercises and drills that for the development of sport-specific performance factors. Then you learn how to periodize the training program precisely for peak performance at critical points in the competitive season and how to use safe and effective reconditioning regimens to bring an athlete back from injury.
If you are currently training clients as a Certified Personal Trainer, adding the credentials of Certified Sports Conditioning Specialist will enable you to expand your services and programs to athletes and sports competition enthusiasts, as well as help to increase your earning potential!
Sports Conditioning Specialist Certification Course Includes:
- No Travel Is Necessary
- Study at your own pace
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- All Learning Materials Included - 2 Textbooks, and 2 instructional DVDs
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees - All materials and examination included
- Weekly AFPA eNews with latest health and fitness trends
- Member Discount offers
- AFPA offers many fitness specialty and advanced certification programs when you are ready to expand your career options in the fitness field
Sports Conditioning Specialist Certification Course Learning Objectives:
- Indentify the weak muscle links that inhibit optimal performance.
- Examine a client’s gait and determine how to improve speed and reduce injury.
- Assist your client in improving balance and stability.
- Administer proper strength and endurance training to minimize injury and increase overall performance.
- Recognize how agility training improves overall speed.
- Identify imbalances in core stability and strength and make necessary changes to correct these imbalances.
- Differentiate between exercises to enhance sports specific skills and those to develop new skills.
- Construct proper workouts, using the periodization model.
- Design cardiovascular programs to maximize aerobic capacity for endurance athletes.
- Assemble individual members together with different body types, skill levels, strength and aerobic capacities into a competitive team.
Sports Conditioning Specialist Certification Course Topics Include, but not limited to:
This program includes Strength, endurance, power, and sport-specific exercises and programming ideas. Covering the concepts, exercises, progressions, and sequencing on which a sound functional training program is based, it addresses the needs of more than 11 sports and features 135 exercises, including body weight, bands and pulleys, dumbbells and kettlebells, medicine balls, and stability balls.
Through assessment and analysis, you’ll identify the movements and muscles involved in your sport, then select the best exercises and programs based on desired results and performance goals. In addition to quick exercise sequences and personalized programming to address the big four sport skills, more comprehensive programs can be developed to address your athletic and performance needs and goals.
- Periodizing Training for Peak Performance
- Designing Periodized Workouts and Training Programs
- Goal Setting
- Off-season Programs
- In-Season and Multi-sport Programs
- Restoring Performance After Injury
- Future Developments in Sports Conditioning
- Mobility and Stability Testing
- Balance & Core Training
- Strength and Endurance Testing
- Movement Imbalance Training
- Strength and Endurance Exercises
- Power, Speed, and Agility Testing
- Speed and Quickness Training
- Power, Speed, and Agility Drills
- Baseline Fitness Testing for Sports
- Developing a Sports Performance Training Program
- Incorporating Sport-Specific Skills Into Training
- Creating Conditioning Drills & Designing Periodized Workouts and Training Programs for:
- Track/Cross Country
- Volleyball & More!
- Comprehensive manuals, video lessons, and written exam. Submit exam by mail or email.
- Self-paced, self-study, complete your course within 6 months or less
- After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Sports Conditioning Specialist” on your certificate.
Requirements for enrollment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Personal Trainer Certification or equivalent
- Passing exam with 85% or higher. There is a $75.00 retest fee.