Make A Meaningful Impact By Helping OthersThe AFPA Group Fitness Instructor Certification provides all-inclusive education on how to powerfully lead dynamic group fitness classes.
- just starting out in the health, fitness, or wellness industry
- passionate about health and considering a career change
- wanting to deepen your knowledge of movement
You can become AFPA certified in 6 months or less!
What is the AFPA Group Fitness Instructor Certification All About?
Teaching group fitness classes is a new adventure each day.
As an AFPA Certified Group Fitness Instructor, you hold the power to help anyone achieve his or her goals on a regular basis. You’ll have the proficiency to:
- Instruct and develop programs for a variety of group fitness oriented classes such as aerobics, bootcamp, sport conditioning, circuit training, muscle conditioning and more
- Identify the components of a total physical fitness conditioning program
- Describe various safety variables and methods for injury avoidance
- Explain various warm up movements, cardiovascular training, resistance training and flexibility exercises
- Analyze and utilize various small equipment within group exercise classes such as hand weight, exercise balls, etc.
- Demonstrate exercises with proper form and alignment
- React quickly to situational changes and effectively adapt classes on the fly to boost class experience
- Encourage participants and become a solid mentor that they can lean on for support and guidance throughout their fitness journey
Join over 119,000 AFPA certified professionals worldwide.With a 26 year legacy of accredited expertise, AFPA is a frontrunner in holistic wellness, health, fitness, and nutrition programs. We’re proud to offer the best variety of flexible, affordable and accessible programs on the market.
Study Anywhere At Your Own Pace
Enjoy the freedom to study on your own time, from anywhere in the world.
Study guidelines and schedules are provided to help keep you on track. Take the test online when you’re ready!
Affordable and Flexible Payment Options
Get certified without breaking the bank.
Our certifications cost significantly less than degree programs, so they’re affordable programs with minimum financial risk.Financing options are available for all AFPA certification programs.
Kickstart Your Career with Included Client Resources
Support doesn’t stop once you’re certified.
You’ll get exclusive access to group exercise evaluation forms, questionnaires like PAR-Q, client management forms, worksheets, sample class routines and more to ensure you have a solid foundation to start your career.
All Learning Materials Included
Your tuition covers everything.
Comprehensive Certification Textbook
Online Video Lessons
Online Final Exam
Business Resources Included
Upon enrollment, we provide you with exclusive resources to help you establish, optimize, grow and build your professional career.
Unlimited Student Support
Call, email or chat with our educational advisors as often as you need before, during and even after enrollment.
The Group Fitness Instructor Certification Program Includes:
- All Course Materials
- Certification course textbook
- Online video training
- Self assessment practice quizzes
- Online final exam
- Training outlines for a variety of classes
- Health history and evaluation forms
- Informed consent form
- Physical activity readiness questionnaire (PAR-Q)
- Muscles and joint actions
- Sample class routines/set up
- More resources to help you become an exceptional group
- Illustrations, photos, written descriptions, and video examples work together to demonstrate the proper techniques for warm-up, cardiovascular training, strength training, and flexibility training
- Instructor evaluation form for directors of group exercise classes
- Practice drills along with written and practical assignments make the material easy to teach and learn
- How-to modules ranging from teaching technique and music selection to step-by-step class routines
What You Will Learn:
This program is designed to teach you how to effectively instruct a variety of group exercise modalities and sharpen your leadership and technical skills.
Evaluating Health and Fitness
You’ll discover methods for evaluating and improving participants’ health and fitness as well as training techniques for changing health-related behaviours. Other topics include:
- Injury prevention strategies
- Dealing with special personal conditions and environmental problems
- Exploring the latest research and major position statements, such as the Surgeon General’s Report: Physical Activity and Health and recommendations from the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
Developing Group Exercise Programs
This section covers the principles of group exercise, guidelines for class segments, and practical teaching skills. Other topics include:
- The most popular forms of group exercise classes and key details for a variety of formats.
- Principles of group exercise instruction & instructing a group exercise class
- Warm-Up, cardiorespiratory training, muscular conditioning, flexibility training high/low impact programs, step training, kickboxing, stationary indoor cycling, water exercise
- Other group exercise modalities: Suspension training, sport training, bootcamp, rebounding, NIA, latin, funk, hip-hop, and country, barre and dance-based classes, sports conditioning and more!
I am currently in this program. I love the fact that I this program is perfect for the person who is constantly on the go. The resources that were sent to me to study are extremely helpful. I will be finished with this program in about two months, since I can study independently.
Tan W.Verified Buyer
Is This Program Right For Me?You’re looking in the right place if you:
- Desire to make a bigger impact. Leading dynamic group fitness classes will allow you to reach more people and influence positive health changes through one class experience.
- Seek flexible workplace opportunities. Being AFPA certified gives you the ability to work in a wide variety of settings, from gyms and boutique fitness studios to wellness centers, community spaces and corporate environments.
- Have a passion for personal growth. Explore specialities to improve your skills and knowledge and enjoy thriving as a professional in an industry that is constantly evolving!
Are there payment plans?Absolutely!
Pick the loan that fits your budget, and make payments over three, six, or 12 months. Our payment plans offer instant approval, are safe and secure.Learn more
Do I Qualify?
To enroll in the Group Fitness Instructor Certification Program, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
Have a solid understanding of the English language.
- You need a minimum final exam grade of 85% to pass.
A $75.00 retest fee will apply.
After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Group Fitness Instructor” on your certificate.