The AFPA Yoga Instructor Certification program is designed to instruct beginner and intermediate students. The program emphasizes safe, effective, and inspiring teaching methods that prepare you to be a confident and competent Certified Yoga Fitness Instructor.
This course was developed with the standards of the Yoga Alliance in mind, in order to help instructors develop the attributes they need to be qualified teachers who facilitate students’ learning and awareness in the practice of yoga.
Yoga Instructor Certification Course Includes:
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- Study at Your Own Pace - Course Study Guidelines and Completion Schedule to stay on track
- All Learning Materials & Exam – NO Added Fees!
- 2 Course Textbooks:
- Detailed descriptions on how to teach 69 yoga asanas (postures), with more than 300 photos showing the postures
- Verbal and visual cues to use in teaching each posture
- Specific hands-on adjustments to help students achieve the desired posture
- Modifications for each posture and effective ways to work with students of different abilities in the same class
- Charts that identify body-segment kinematics and muscles used in individual postures
- Study questions and answers that review topics presented, reproducible forms for instructors, sample relaxation scripts, a listing of yoga resources for instructors.
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Travel Necessary
Yoga Instructor Certification Course Learning Objectives:
- Interpret the philosophical roots and diverse practices of the classical Ashtanga* and Hatha Yoga traditions.
- Employ the concepts underlying various yoga poses that allow the teacher to develop interesting sequences.
- Explain and apply basic principles of anatomy and physiology and how they relate to developing sequences of non-injurious poses for the good health of the students.
- Practice skills to teach a beginning to intermediate yoga fitness class in the three areas of pranayama (classical breathing practices), meditation and asana (postures).
- Identify a well-rounded personal yoga practice with insight that allows you to be good yoga teacher.
- Prepare for a full- or part-time position as a yoga fitness instructor.
- Deploy appropriate communication strategies and professionalism incorporating the AFPA Code of Ethics.
- Utilize appropriate fitness resources, equipment and protocols.
Yoga Instructor Certification Course Topics Include, but Are Not Limited To:
- Understanding Yoga
- Knowing Yourself and Your Students
- Creating a Class Environment
- Human Skeletal Anatomy as It Relates to Yoga Practice
- Key Concepts of Compression, Tension, Proportion and Orientation
- Exploring the Different Styles of Yoga
- Breathing and Beyond
- Energy and Anatomy
- Asanas and Adjustments
- Sun Salutations
- Standing Postures
- Seated Postures
- Supine and Prone Postures
- Inverted Postures
- Restorative Postures
- Structuring a Class
- Lesson Plans and Class Descriptions
- Sample Classes
- Comprehensive manuals, video lessons, online support material and written exam.
- Submit exam by mail or email.
- Self-paced, self-study, complete your course within 6 months or less
- After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Yoga Instructor” on your certificate.
Requirements for enrollment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
Continuing Education Credits/Units:
- This course is valid for 16.0 CECs toward AFPA Certification renewal.
- Passing exam with 85% or higher.
- Complete the assignments.
- Retest fee is $75.00.