The AFPA Weight Management Consultant Certification program provides cutting-edge behavior change methods and evidence-based nutrition protocols for your clients' success! This program will provide you with the education you need to guide your clients to achieve their short-term weight loss goals through behavior modification, and provides you with the skills necessary to help them achieve long-term weight management. The AFPA Weight Management Specialist Certification course provides a holistic approach to weight and health management.
Your clients want to lose weight. They come to you for help. With the knowledge you gain from the Weight Management Specialist Certification course, you can demonstrate to your clients that you have the knowledge to develop sound, balanced weight management programs that will help them achieve long-term weight management success through nutrition, exercise and lifestyle change. You will design programs that meet each client’s unique needs by recognizing what motivates them, by determining the best way to help them safely achieve their goal and by identifying how to effectively communicate your advice.
- Self-paced, self-study, test when you are ready!
- After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Weight Management Specialist” on your certificate.
Requirements for enrollment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Completion of Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification (NWC) or Holistic Nutritionist Certification (HNC) is required prior to completing this course.
Opportunities as a Certified Weight Management Specialist:
- Weight management is the #1 reason that people join a gym or hire a personal trainer.
- The overweight and obesity problem in the Western world is growing at epidemic rates, including in children and teenagers.
- People are willing to pay for the services of a certified weight management professional.
- We recommend enrolling clients in a 12-week, fee-based counseling service.
- Fees may range from $500 to $999 for the 12-week program.
- Follow-up counseling for a fee is also highly recommended.
- Earn back the cost of the certification by your very first client!
Weight Management Specialist Certification Course Includes:
- Test When You’re Ready
- Study at Your Own Pace
- Course Study Guidelines and Completion Schedule to stay on track
- All Learning Materials - 4 course textbooks and certification exam
- Counseling and Lifestyle Management Forms for Starting Your Own Business
- Worksheets and Questionnaires to document and assess counseling sessions
- FREE Forms, Worksheets and Checklists provided and are perforated for easy duplication
- FREE Manual "Legal Guidelines for Unlicensed Practitioners"
- Practice questions, case study and critical thinking - Self-assessments to test progress
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees - all materials and examination included
- Accreditation - Nationally accredited by Vital Research
- No travel necessary
Accreditations & Board Certification:
- AFPA Nutrition & Wellness Consultant, Weight Management Consultant, and Holistic Nutrition curricula fully meet the American Naturopathic Medical Accreditation Board’s (ANMAB) educational requirements.
- Graduates of AFPA are eligible to apply to be a Board Certified Holistic Health Care Practitioners, Board Certified Nutritional Consultant or Board Certified Holistic Nutritionist through the American Naturopathic Medical Certification Board (ANMCB).
- AFPA has been granted full board accreditation by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners. Graduates of AFPA with nutrition credentials are eligible to apply to be board certified holistic health care practitioners through the AADP. AFPA graduates qualify for Board Certification through the American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP). You may contact the AADP at 1-888-764-AADP.
Weight Management Specialist Certification Course Learning Objectives:
- Identify and interpret the causes of obesity in America.
- Illustrate the harmful effects of being overweight and obese.
- Assist clients in finding their optimal weight to enhance their quality of life.
- Recognize how athletes are prone to eating disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia and excessive dietary practices.
- Examine psychological link that exists between individuals and eating disorders.
- Explain the physiological effects of eating disorders on the human body and how they can be addressed by fitness and wellness professionals.
- Differentiate between healthy carbohydrates and unhealthy carbohydrates.
- Construct a safe, effective and reasonable weight management program that encourages healthy eating and sensible exercise.
Weight Management Specialist Certification Topics Include, but Are Not Limited To:
- Concepts of underweight, overweight and obesity
- Prevalence of overweight in the Western world
- Health consequences of overweight and obesity
- Calculating the optimum weight for longevity and health
- Assessing metabolic rate and body composition
- Body size, shape and composition
- Clinical assessment of body composition
- Dietary and physical activity assessment
- Putting assessment components together
- Bioimpedance analysis concepts and techniques
- Energy metabolism
- The metabolic fate of ingested food
- Energy expenditure: metabolic rate
- Energy expenditure: diet induced thermogenesis
- Non-resting energy expenditure: fidgeting, exercise, and other physical activities
- Regulation of eating behaviors and body weight
- The brain: central regulator of weight
- The digestive system: receptor and effector in regulation of weight
- Storage fat: active participant in weight regulation
- BAT: effector of energy expenditure
- Genetic factors and body composition
- Environmental influences on body weight
- Herbal and other natural weight regulators
- Basic nutrition for weight management
- Physiological influences on weight management
- Issues of the thyroid gland
- Issues of the gonadal systems
- Issues of the adrenal gland
- Issues of other organs of the endocrine system
- Lifestyle balancing
- Exercise (general review of exercise and weight loss concepts)
- Stress reduction
- Genetic influences
- Past issues of abuse
- Emotional eating
- Inflammation control
- Medical / allergy testing
- Weight Counseling in Clinical Practice
- Comprehensive textbooks, video lessons, online resources and certification exam. Submit exam by mail or email.
- Passing the certification exam with 85% or higher.
- Exam is based on the course materials. No added materials needed.
- There are 70 exam questions and a case study.
- You may submit your exam by mail or electronically.
- If you do not pass, there is a $75.00 retest fee.