The AFPA Strength and Conditioning Certification course offers an in-depth look at strength training for the upper, lower and core sections of the body; safe and effective personalized training programs for men, women, children, and the elderly; strength and conditioning programs for athletes of all types for various sports at various ages and much more!
Drawing on the latest scientific principles and theories related to resistance training, this program provides the “how” and the “why” behind the proper performance of popular upper body, lower body and trunk exercises. By understanding the purpose and correct form for each exercise, you can gain the full benefit each exercise provides and avoid injury. You will also learn the latest information related to resistance training program design, training systems, periodization principles and a continuum of training programs.
Select Your Delivery Method:
- 100% Digital Access - Digital Access to the full, mobile-ready interactive eBook with workbook, student practice activities and assessments. Online course activities and online final exam.
- Digital Access + Print - Digital Access as noted above, plus a print version of the textbook for this course available for students.
Strength and Conditioning Certification Course Topics Include, but Are Not Limited To:
- Basic Principles of Resistance Training and Exercise Prescription
- Types of Strength Training
- Comparison of Training Types
- Neuromuscular Physiology and Adaptations to Resistance Training
- Integrating Other Fitness Components
- Does Resistance Training Affect Endurance
- Does Resistance Training Affect Flexibility
- Exercise Prescription of Resistance Training
- Developing the Individualized Resistance Training Workout
- Acute Program Variables
- Resistance Training Systems and Techniques
- Single-set System
- Multiple-set System
- Exercise Order Systems
- Training Techniques Applicable to Other Systems
- Specialized Systems and Techniques
- Advanced Training Strategies
- Periodization of Resistance Training
- Two Training Sessions in One Day
- The Detraining Phenomenon
- Women, Children, and Seniors and Resistance Training
- New information on incorporating popular bodybuilding systems
- 80 exercises that cause the greatest stimulation in the muscles
- Nutrition periodization program to meet the body needs during training
- Case studies with examples of exercise prescription design in real-life situations involving wrestling, personal fitness, volleyball, and much more
Strength and Conditioning Certification Course Learning Objectives:
- Design scientifically sound resistance training programs.
- Modify and adapt programs to meet the needs of special populations, and implement strength building exercise programs designed to build power and strength.
- Define the process of progressive muscular overload with application to power athletes.
- Demonstrate the differences between various types of resistance training techniques and their application for various sports and activities.
- Explore the cardiovascular training effects and high intensity resistance training effects on overall cardiovascular health.
- Identify how the physiological effects on the human body are associated with utilizing super sets, giant sets, and tri-setting.
- Construct a sprint training program to improve speed during the off-season.
- Design an exercise program based on the principals of specialization and lifting techniques.
- Recognize the detraining phenomenon on both motor performance and strength loss.
- Compare and contrast strength movements such as bench press, squat, and dead lift to explosive power movements such as clean, high pull and snatch.
- Administer a safe, effective and reasonable training program to improve overall power and strength development.
- Comprehensive course textbook and/or ebook with online learning platform, video, online labs, quizzes and online final exam.
- Submit assignments and exam online.
- Self-paced, self-study, complete assignments and testing when you're ready
- After successful completion, you will earn a "Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist".
Strength and Conditioning Certification Course Includes:
- No Travel Is Necessary
- Study at your own pace
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- All Learning Materials Included - Course textbook, online ancillary materials, exercise videos and programs; online examination
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees - All materials and examination included
- AFPA offers many fitness specialty and advanced certification programs when you are ready to expand your career options in the fitness field
Requirements for enrollment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Personal Trainer Certification or similar suggested
Continuing Education Credits/Units:
- This course is valid for 16.0 CECs toward AFPA Certification renewal.
- Passing an online exam with 85% or higher.
- Exam is based on the course materials. No added materials needed.
- There are 235 multiple choice/true/false exam questions.
- The examination must be completed within 28 days of receipt of your testing link.
- Once you submit your examination for grading and pass, you will receive your grade and credentials immediately.
- If you do not pass there is a $75.00 retest fee. You will be allowed to retest within 24 business hours.