Help Older Adults Overcome Health Obstacles
1 in 4 Americans has multiple chronic conditions.
That number jumps to 3 in 4 Americans aged 65 and older.
The AFPA Senior Fitness Specialist Certification Program provides an enriching education on designing and implementing exercises that significantly improve the health of the senior population.
The program covers important topics such as exercise physiology and the aging systems, conditions requiring special considerations, land exercise, and how to develop an optimized fitness program for older adults.
What Can I Do as a Senior Fitness Specialist?
As an AFPA Certified Senior Fitness Specialist, you’ll be able to:
- Identify and modify factors that influence physical activity participation among older adults, including barriers, motivators, regular involvement in physical activity, and behavior modification
- Conduct in-depth health history interviews with senior clients that yield important information in the development of a safe and effective exercise program
- Recognize signs and symptoms associated with medication-related negative interactions during physical activity and refer back to the health professional
- Design exercise programs for preventive health for seniors
- Develop and implement land and water-based exercise programs for older adults
- Create community-based senior fitness programs to maximize your impact on larger groups
Join over 110,000 AFPA certified professionals worldwide.With a 25-year legacy of accredited expertise, AFPA is a frontrunner in fitness, health, and wellness programs. We’re proud to offer the best variety of flexible, affordable, and accessible programs on the market
Study Anywhere At Your Own Pace
Enjoy the freedom to study on your own time from anywhere in the world.
Study guidelines and schedules are provided to help keep you on track. Take the test online when you’re ready!
Affordable and Flexible Payment Options
Get certified without breaking the bank.
Our certifications cost significantly less than degree programs, so they’re affordable programs with minimum financial risk.Financing options are available for all AFPA certification programs.
Kickstart Your Career with Included Client Resources
Support doesn’t stop once you’re certified.
You get access to career-shaping resources that will help ensure you get a head start in your career as a Certified Senior Fitness Specialist.
All Learning Materials Included
Your tuition covers everything.
All Course Materials
Course Study Guidelines
Online Final Exam
*Bonus* Business Resources Included
Upon enrollment, we provide you with exclusive resources to help you establish, optimize, grow, and build your specialized fitness business.
Unlimited Student Support
Call, email, or chat with our educational advisors as often as you need before, during, and even after enrollment.
What You’ll Get:
- All course materials
- 2 certification textbooks
- Practice quiz and self assessment
- Online final exam
- Bonus materials
- 83 exercises for free weights, machines, bands, and balls
- 30 workouts for increasing size, endurance, and strength
- Exercise considerations for medical conditions
A Look Inside The Curriculum:
Aging and Physical Activity
Understand the importance of physical activity throughout senior adulthood. Topics include:
- Demographics of older adults
- Benefits of physical activity
- Predictors of successful aging
- Biological theories of aging
- Psychological and sociocultural aspects of physical activity for older adults
Physiological Aspects of Aging
Identify factors that contribute to changes in body composition and function with age and what key changes occur in each part of the body. Topics include:
- Cardiovascular and respiratory function
- Muscle function
- Joint mobility
- Bone mass
- Neurological function
Screening for Older Adults
Learn how to screen for pathology when there are no symptoms of disease using simple measures to identify risk factors for illness. Topics include:
- Screening steps and tools
- Functional fitness framework
- Guidelines for group testing
- Interpreting test results
- Laboratory-based physiological assessment of older adults
Goal Setting and Behavioral Management
Study and practice strategies for building trust and rapport with older adult clients. Topics include:
- Factors influencing older adults’ exercise participation
- Strategies for behavioral change
A New Approach to Designing Exercise Programs for Older Adults
Apply learnings of older adult physiology with functional fitness training to enhance longevity and overall health. Topics include:
- Implications for program design and management
- Optimizing physical function through exercise
- Exercise variables and principles for program design
- Developing the warm-up and cool-down
Age-Associated Changes in Flexibility and Resistance
For a lot of older adults, maintaining mobility can be difficult due to muscles and joints weakening and range of movement deteriorating. Assess the benefits of stretching and resistance training to provide a greater quality of life and healthy aging. Topics include:
- Types of stretching techniques
- Incorporating flexibility training into the exercise program
- Benefits and principles of resistance training
- Training components and variables
Aerobic Endurance Training for Older Adults
How much cardio should seniors do and what’s the best way to get started? Discover this and more in this module. Topics include:
- Benefits, principles, and considerations for aerobic endurance training
- Variables for aerobic endurance training
- Types of aerobic exercises
- Training precautions
- Implications for program design and management
Age-Associated Changes in Balance and Mobility
Falling is a major concern for aging clients. Learn how to prevent deconditioning and improve balance and coordination in older adults. Topics include:
- Balance and mobility exercises
- Manipulating the challenge in a group setting
- Mind-Body exercise training and programs
Dive into sharpening your expertise on how performing rehabilitation therapy and exercise movements are less painful in water and develop programs to be performed in water. Topics include:
- Benefits of aquatic training
- Considerations unique to aquatic exercise
- Aquatic training components
"I am beyond THRILLED with my program so far. Easy to go at my own pace, easy to understand the process, and the content that i am learning is fantastic! I feel like I am truly being set up for success!"
Tara P.Verified Buyer
Is This Program Right For Me?A career in senior fitness may be a great fit if you:
- Are interested in working with older clients and seniors, either in group or one-on-one settings, encouraging them to prioritize physical activity and healthy habits that will enhance their quality of life
- Are looking to change careers and align yourself on a professional path that is deeply satisfying and financially rewarding
- Already work as a fitness or healthcare professional and want to expand your services or hyper-target your audience
- Want to get the best education without constraints on your schedule, lifestyle, or bank account
Are There Payment Plans?Absolutely!
Pick the loan that fits your budget and make payments over three, six, or 12 months. Our payment plans offer instant approval and are safe and secure.Learn more
Do I Qualify?
To enroll in the Senior Fitness Specialist Certification Program, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
Have a solid understanding of the English language.
- You need a minimum final exam grade of 85% to pass.
A $75.00 retest fee will apply.
After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Senior Fitness Specialist” on your certificate.