8 CECs / Quiz
This two-hour online presentation features the discussion of topics related to holistic health and nutrition. The presentation includes written transcripts for each topic as well as comprehensive linked references for further research.
Holistic Wellness Topics covered:
- Obesity-Related Plastic Chemical BPA
- Maternal Diet & Child Stress Responses
- Why is Nutrition So Commercialized?
- Lactose & Milk-Parkinson’s Link
- Pomegranate for Prostate Cancer?
- Ginger for Menstrual Cramps and IBS
- Animal Protein vs. Cigarettes
- Increasing Protein Intake After Age 65
- Conflicts of Interest in Medical Research
- Eliminating Conflicts of Interest
- Is Canned Fruit as Healthy?
- Paleo Diet Studies Show Benefits
- Iodine Supplements for Pregnancy
- Resistant Starch and Colon Cancer
- Sources of Resistant Starch
- The Risks of Hormone Therapy
- DHA Supplements for Brain Function?
- Should vegans Take DHA?
- Bovine Leukemia Virus in Meat & Milk
- Role of BLV in Breast Cancer
- Industry Response to BLV
- Vitamin D Supplements vs. Cancer
- Big Salt & Meat
- Animal Protein, Pregnancy, & Obesity
- How the Media Reports on Medicine
- Smoking in 1956 is Like Eating in 2016
Expanded Discussion Topics:
- Diet Link to Parkinson’s Disease
Every single prospective study on dairy products or milk and Parkinson’s disease tended to find an increased risk. It may be that “dairy products in the United States are contaminated with neurotoxic chemicals.” There’s substantial evidence suggesting that “exposure to pesticides may increase Parkinson’s disease risk”; and autopsies found higher levels of pollutants and pesticides in the brains of Parkinson’s disease patients, and some of these toxins are present at low levels in dairy products.
- Vitamin D & Cancer
Vitamin D may affect cancer survival. Higher blood levels of vitamin D were associated with lower mortality of patients with colorectal cancer. How much lower? Like nearly half the mortality. And, the higher the D levels, the lower the death rate appeared to fall. This may explain why the survival rate from colon cancer may depend, in part, on the season of diagnosis—the reason the risk of a rapid death is lowest if you’re diagnosed in the fall, after you’ve spent the summer building up your vitamin D stores.
- Paleo Diet Benefits
Nearly anything would have been preferable to the diet they were eating before—evidently centered around refined carbs, soda, beer, milk, and cheap fatty meat. But they did pretty good; significantly better blood sugar response, thanks to a ton of weight loss. But it’s because they were starving. They evidently couldn’t catch enough kangaroos, and so, even if they were running around in the desert for seven weeks on 1,200 calories of their original junky diet, they may have done just as well. But we’ll never know, because there was no control group.
- The Risks of Hormone Therapy
Despite an overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary, many physicians still believe that estrogenic hormones have overall health benefits, a non-evidence-based perception that may be the result of decades of carefully orchestrated corporate influence on the medical literature. Dozens of ghostwritten reviews were published in medical journals to promote unproven benefits, and downplay the harms of menopausal hormone therapy. They would pay PR companies to write the articles, and then pass them off as written by some expert.