The AFPA Pre and Post Natal Fitness Specialist Certification course will provide personal trainers & fitness specialists with advanced skills and knowledge specific to prenatal and postnatal exercise prescription.
Various benefits of exercise for prenatal postnatal clients are more energy during pregnancy, reduced stress and anxiety, quicker recovery from birth, fewer complications in pregnancy, shorter labor time & increased self esteem!
Topics include prenatal and postnatal physiology adaptations, musculoskeletal & metabolic adaptations, maternal responses to acute exercise, fetal responses to acute exercise, aerobic and resistance-training effects in labor and delivery, exercise guidelines for pre/postpartum, nutrient requirements throughout pregnancy.
Pre and Post Natal Fitness Specialist Certification Course objectives:
- Describe principles of basic exercise physiology and kinesiology as it relates to pregnancy.
- Explain the maternal adaptations to exercise that occur during pregnancy and postpartum.
- Name the ACOG guidelines safely guidelines for exercise during and after pregnancy.
- Summarize the benefits of maternal exercise for both the mother and the fetus.
- Specify evidence based exercises and fitness goals that are important to include in exercise programs for women who are prenatal, pregnant, or postpartum.
- Recognize the symptoms of over-training in both the mother and the fetus.
- Explain common discomforts of pregnancy and recommend exercises for relief of symptoms.
- Recommend and demonstrate exercises for relieving discomfort for the pregnant participant.
- Select and integrate mind body exercises, effective breathing and relaxation techniques into an exercise program for pregnant women.
- Illustrate a sound curriculum for teaching a maternity health & fitness program to women in all stages of pregnancy and postpartum.
- Integrate a variety of small exercise apparatus into group and one-on-one sessions.
- Design appropriate exercises for prenatal, pregnant and postpartum clients in the personal training setting.
- Discuss the changing nutritional needs for women prenatal and in each stage of pregnancy.
Pre and Post Natal Fitness Specialist Certification Course Topics Include, but not limited to:
- Prenatal Physiological Adaptations
- Musculoskeletal & Metabolic Adaptations
- Maternal Responses to Acute Exercise
- Fetal Responses to Acute Exercise
- Aerobic & Resistance Training Effects In Labor & Delivery
- Exercise Guidelines: Pregnancy & Postpartum
- Nutrient Requirements in Pregnancy
- Exercise Programs for all 3 trimesters
- Post Natal Exercise Programming
- Post Menopause & Exercise
- Yoga Exercises for each trimester are included
- Exercise, Drugs, Medication
- Emergency Procedures/Fitness Assessment
- Legal Procedures & Safety Programming
**Newly added/updated information:
- Practical information on how your body changes each month, and how to gauge physical limits
- Flexible workout plans for strength, cardiovascular conditioning, agility, and balance for each stage of pregnancy and the postpartum period
- Facts and tips about eating well to support pregnancy and fuel your workouts for athletes
- The truth about old wives' tales and common pregnancy myths and misconceptions
Pre and Post Natal Fitness Specialist Certification Course Includes:
- No Travel Is Necessary
- Study at your own pace, study guidelines to help you stay on track
- All Learning Materials Included - 4 Instructional Textbooks
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees - All materials and examination included
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- AFPA offers many fitness specialty and advanced certification programs when you are ready to expand your career options in the fitness field
- Comprehensive manuals, video lessons, and written exam. Submit exam by mail or email.
- Self-paced, self-study, complete your course and exam within 6 months or less
- After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Pre and Post Natal Fitness Specialist” on your certificate.
Requirements for enrollment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Written exam, minimum score 85%. Retest fee $75.00.