- The only certification program you need to become an expert in plant-based nutrition and help others thrive with the power of plants.
Go from information overwhelm to clarity and confidence. Help others thrive.
This certification program features the latest scientific research on plant-based nutrition to provide you with deep knowledge of this dietary pattern. It takes a way of eating that is often misunderstood, over-complicated, and confusing and makes it digestible.
Becoming a CPBNS will equip you to better serve your existing clients, future clients, yourself, and/or your loved ones — and help you become a leader in the plant-based health and wellness space.
This program is for you if:
- You are passionate about health and wellness and want to gain more understanding of plant-based nutrition
- You are looking to carve out a specialty or niche for your business so you can have authority in the space
- You want to be able to support your loved ones or existing clients who are trying to eat more plants
- You have recognized the benefits of a plant-based way of eating and want to be able to confidently apply it to your own life
What is Plant-Based Nutrition?
Plant-based nutrition is the study of a diet that consists mostly of foods from plants. A plant-based diet primarily consists of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, oils, whole grains, legumes, and beans.
A few of the many health benefits of a plant-based diet include:
- Lower risk of chronic disease
- Regulated blood pressure and heart rate
- Regulated cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- More balanced gut microbiota
- Greater blood glucose management
Another benefit of plant-based nutrition is your impact on the environment. Reducing your consumption of animal products reduces your carbon footprint.
In fact, if Americans replaced 50 percent of the animal products they eat with plant-based foods by the year 2030, the country’s diet-related greenhouse gas emissions would decrease by 35 percent.1
With all these benefits, it’s no surprise that plant-based nutrition is growing in popularity. Today, almost 40 percent of Americans try to eat more plant-based foods.
This shift means there is a great need for leaders to emerge and support people as they transition to or maintain a plant-based lifestyle.
That’s where Certified Plant-Based Nutrition Specialists come in.
What Does a Certified
Plant-Based Nutrition Specialist Do?
Certified Plant-Based Nutrition Specialists know how to use plant-based nutrition to support each person’s unique needs.
Plant-based eating is an often misunderstood way of eating. A CPBNS brings clarity and confidence to their clients.
Becoming AFPA-certified sets you apart in a rapidly growing industry. The Certified Plant-Based Nutrition Specialist program equips you with the knowledge to coach private clients, consult with companies, work within corporations – and so much more.
From hosting podcasts to creating coaching group programs, there is no limit to what career opportunities you can explore.
Imagine how it would feel to:
- Be excited to go to work every day fulfilling your life’s purpose
- Have more control of your time and energy
- Make an impact while traveling or spending more time with your family
- Empower your community and loved ones with plant-based nutrition knowledge
All this is possible when you become a Certified Plant-Based Nutrition Specialist. We’re here to help you get there.
The Certified Plant-Based Nutrition Specialist Program
Explore The Course Curriculum
- Cardiovascular disease
- Bone health
- Autoimmune diseases
- Weight loss and management
- Gut health and microbiome
- Respiratory diseases
- Brain health
- Children and adolescents
- Early adulthood
- Middle adulthood
- Late adulthood
- Impact on climate and environmental health
- Eating disorders and disordered eating
- Cultural and spiritual practices
- Psychology of plant-based diets
- Protein needs
- Food access and nutrition policy
- Hormones and pesticides
- Tips and strategies for coaching and counseling plant-based diets, recommending foods, and choosing recipes
The Signature AFPA Framework
The Certified Plant-Based Nutrition Specialist (CPBNS) program delivers the most up-to-date, relevant information on plant-based nutrition.
Within the program you get:
- Eight comprehensive, step-by-step modules that walk you through the science-based principles of plant-based nutrition.
- Online video lectures.
- Digital and/or physical textbooks.
- Case studies, articles, slides, videos, and discussion forums to deepen your knowledge.
Actionable Career Support
If you’re interested in starting or expanding your career as a Certified Plant-Based Nutrition Specialist, this program goes a step further by providing resources and support to help you create a fulfilling career using your certification, including webinars and trainings, articles and research, and bonus email courses.
Members-Only AFPA Insider Community
After you graduate, get exclusive access to the members-only Facebook group where you can connect with, network with, and get support from other AFPA graduates.
Why Choose AFPA?
- At AFPA, we’re on a mission to make a global impact on health and wellness. To do so, we’re committed to providing quality certifications in health, fitness, and nutrition coaching – so that graduates like you are prepared with the knowledge and skills that set you above.
“AFPA instantly gives you credibility and is very well-respected in the industry.”
“Clients know that if you have that certification, that they’re getting credible, reliable information. I also chose AFPA because of the course structure. With the courses, you get to make your own schedule and it’s perfect for anyone who may have another job, is going to school, or has a family.”
“The way my life has changed after getting the certification is a complete 180.”
“I definitely could not have counseled people the way I do now without AFPA. I was surprised the most when I just realized really how much I was learning. I knew I was going to learn a lot, and that there were so many different curriculum topics, but at the end of it, I learned even so much more than I expected.”
Here’s everything you get in the Certified Plant-Based Nutrition Specialist program:
8 Step-By-Step Modules. The CPBNS program covers eight sections of plant-based nutrition information, including scientific principles, the role of nutrition in sickness, how to develop personalized nutrition plans across age groups, and much more.
Comprehensive Materials. The certification program includes online video lectures and digital and/or physical textbooks.
Exclusive AFPA Insider Pass. Access to a growing community of health, fitness, and nutrition professionals. Inside the community, you can network, ask questions, and connect with other grads.
Applicable Career Resources. Get the tools and support you need to build a career as a Certified Plant-Based Nutrition Specialist. Blogs, webinars, and exclusive email courses are just a few of the resources we offer.
Enroll today and start creating positive change
with the power of plants.
What Happens Next?
Once you enroll we’ll send you a welcome email with program instructions and access to your centralized learning portal. The portal is where you’ll be able to quickly access the program materials, track your progress, and stay organized.
Frequently Asked Questions
You must be at least eighteen years old and have a solid understanding of the English language to enroll in this program.
We also recommend (but do not require) that you:
- Hold at least one current certification in a health, wellness, nutrition, or fitness discipline (OR) have an undergraduate degree in a health or science discipline
- Have knowledge of health and wellness coaching strategies and practices
“Plant-based” refers to a dietary pattern that primarily consists of plants (i.e. fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, legumes, whole grains, etc.). While the program does cover different types of vegetarian and vegan diets, it also considers diets that include meat and other animal products.
The Certified Plant-Based Nutrition Specialist program and the AFPA Holistic Nutritionist Certification program both offer a credible, comprehensive, whole-person approach to nutrition.
The major difference is that the Certified Plant-Based Nutrition Specialist program takes a deeper dive into plant-based diets, so it is best for those who want to specialize in plant-based nutrition. It prepares you to better support those who are specifically looking to transition to or maintain a plant-based diet. It will also allow you to gain authority and serve as a leader in the plant-based space.
The program is designed to provide you with flexibility and ample time to progress at a pace that is comfortable to you. It is self-directed, self-study, and may be completed in six months or less. If you require more time, you can request a six-month extension for an additional extension fee of $75.
All quizzes, exams, and assignments are online, open book, and can be completed when you’re ready.
You must score at least 85% on all quizzes and exams to pass. You may take a quiz as many times as you need to pass. You must pass the final exam on the first attempt. If you don't, you can request a retest for a fee of $75.
Once you enroll you will receive instant access to the online learning portal. As for books, you can choose your delivery method: 100% digital, in print and delivered to your doorstep, or a combination of both.
Yes, you will need to complete at least 16 continuing education credits (CECs) every two years to maintain your certification. You can learn more about renewing your certification here.
Yes! A newly acquired AFPA certification has a value of 16 continuing education credits (CECs) that count toward the renewal requirements of an existing AFPA certification. To qualify for CECs, you must successfully complete the certification program.
Yes, we offer a variety of flexible payment plans and options through Affirm and PayPal Credit. You can learn more about payment plans here.
Become a plant-based expert and help others discover how this lifestyle can lead to vibrant health and well-being.
References:1 .Michigan Center for Sustainable Systems