The Personal Trainer of Special Populations Certification course outlines why exercise is significant in the treatment and prevention of disease, advises medical and exercise professionals in considering proper exercise prescription protocols, and provides evidence-informed guidance on devising individualized exercise programs.
Furthermore, this course discusses exercise for individuals that may have certain cardiovascular, metabolic or pulmonary diseases, the elderly, wheelchair bound, mentally challenged and more; understanding the limitations for various populations and how to modify exercise to meet their needs. AFPA Trainer of Special Populations graduates are prepared to design & implement effective exercise programs for a variety of populations.
Trainer of Special Populations Certification Course Topics Include, but not limited to:
- Basic Physical Activity and Exercise Recommendations for Persons With Chronic Conditions
- Clinical Exercise Programming – Assessing and Evaluating Current Functioning
- Art of Exercise Medicine: Counseling and Socioecological Factors
- Approach to the Common Chronic Conditions – Exercise Assessment and Programming
- Chronic Conditions Strongly Associated With Physical Inactivity – Obesity, Diabetes, Hypertension, Arthritis, Back Pain, Osteoporosis
- Chronic Conditions Very Strongly Associated With Tobacco
- Cancer - Management and Effects of Exercise Response
- Significant Sequelae Related to Common Chronic Conditions – Depression, Lower Limb Amputation, Frailty
- Chronic Heart Failure
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Pacemakers and Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillators
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Heart Transplantation
- Chronic Restrictive Pulmonary Disease
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Chronic Kidney and Liver Disease
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Hemostasis Disorders
- Stroke, Brain Trauma, and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Peripheral Neuropathy, Myopathy, and Myasthenia Gravis
- Cerebral Palsy
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease
- Depression and Anxiety Disorders
Exercise Modifications for Special Populations Included:
- Core progressions that can be done sitting or against a wall for clients who have difficulty doing traditional exercises
- Creative exercise options, such as manual resistance for clients who have discomfort in holding weights or grips
- Exercise modications for developing power & agility to help maintain joint stability and enhance bone integrity
- Isometric exercises for clients who have discomfort moving or holding certain ranges of motion
Trainer of Special Populations Certification Course Includes:
- No Travel Is Necessary
- Study at your own pace
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete online examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- All Learning Materials Included - 1 Course Textbook and 2 Instructional DVD's
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees - All materials and online examination included
- Weekly AFPA eNews and AFPA Blog with latest health and fitness trends
- SPECIAL BONUS! AFPA Certified Personal Trainer of Special Populations receive 50% off 1st year membership to MFN. The Medical Fitness Network is a referral network of Medical fitness and wellness organizations. A great opportunity to reach thousands of potential clients with disease & conditions that need your help!
Trainer of Special Populations Course Learning Objectives:
- Analyze and implement exercise management programs for over 30 different chronic diseases, disabilities and dysfunctions.
- Employ exercise protocols within the realm of personal training for metabolic syndrome, stress and anxiety disorder, multiple chronic conditions, fibromyalgia and the other conditions.
- Examine and integrate a physicians recommendations into your personal training exercise program for clients.
- Identify safe, effective, and targeted rehabilitation exercises for sports medicine protocols.
- Apply rehabilitation techniques for various injuries and different muscle, joint, and bone sports medicine injuries and dysfunctions
- Comprehensive textbook, video lessons, and online exam.
- Passing the online exam with 85% or higher. There is a $75.00 retest fee.
- Self-paced, self-study, complete your course within 6 months or less
- After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Personal Trainer of Special Populations” on your certificate.
Requirements for enrollment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Valid Personal Trainer Certification or equivalent
Continuing Education Credits/Units:
- 16.0 AFPA CEC's