Learn how to become a Certified Personal Trainer and teach others how to reach their physical goals and live a healthier life!
With two out of three adults in the United States struggling with their weight, personal trainers have a great opportunity to help people become healthier and influence people and their lifestyle choices in a positive way! AFPA has provided certification and continuing education to over 85,000 Certified Personal Fitness Trainers, Certified Fitness Instructors and Nutrition professionals worldwide and we are passionate about your success AND your clients!
- Self-paced, self-study, complete assignments & testing when you're ready
- After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Personal Trainer” on your certificate.
Requirements for AFPA Personal Fitness Trainer Certification:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Comprehensive manuals, video lessons, and digitally proctored online exam or mail-in option (submit exam by mail or email)
- FREE EBook on "How to Start a Successful Online Personal Trainer Business" - a blueprint to increase your earnings with online training
- Includes an Online Video Library containing 24 video clips help readers better apply key techniques covered in the book
- Descriptions and demonstrations of over 70 exercises
- A web resource containing biannual industry updates and references and fillable forms provides a useful tool for students to use beyond the classroom
- Testing Options:
- ONLINE TEST - Submit your assignments and final examination online and receive your results immediately!
- Study at Your Own Pace - Course Study Guidelines and Completion Schedule to stay on track
- Practice Quizzes - Self assessments to test your progress
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees - All materials and examination included
- Accreditation - Nationally and Internationally recognized
- Weekly Newsletter - AFPA eNews with latest health and fitness trends
- Member Discount Offers
- NO Travel Necessary
Personal Trainer Certification Course Objectives:
- Identify the business fundamentals of administration, marketing, and management in personal training.
- Employ the communication skills needed in personal fitness instruction.
- Apply the principles of exercise science, human anatomy, and biomechanics to movement design and exercise instruction.
- Name and describe exercise testing procedures to assess cardiorespiratory function, body composition, muscular fitness, and flexibility and give suggestions for improvement in these areas.
- Design educationally- based fitness programs to include cardiovascular training, resistance training and flexibility programs.
- Demonstrate the proper usage of various commercial fitness machines and equipment utilizing appropriate exercise guidelines and spotting techniques.
- Differentiate between appropriate exercise principles and practices for adults, children and older populations
- Discuss exercise testing and training modifications for special populations.
- Operate as a personal trainer in the health and fitness industry and uphold the AFPA Code of Ethic.
AFPA Personal Trainer Certification Course Topics:
- Health, Fitness, and Performance
- Functional Anatomy and Biomechanics
- Exercise Physiology
- EnergyCosts of Physical Activity
- Assessment of Cardiorespiratory Fitness
- Assessment of Body Composition
- Assessment of Muscular Fitness
- Assessment of Flexibility and Low Back Function
- Exercise Prescription for Cardiorespiratory Fitness
- Exercise Prescription for Weight Management
- Exercise Prescription for Muscular Fitness
- Exercise Prescription for Flexibility and Low Back Function
- Exercise and Children and Youth
- Exercise and Older Adults
- Exercise and Women’s Health
- Exercise and Heart Disease
- Exercise and Obesity
- Exercise and Diabetes
- Exercise and Pulmonary Disease
- Exercise Programming for Health and Fitness
- Behavior Change
- Mindful Exercise for Fitness Professionals
- Exercise Related to ECG and Medications
- Injury Prevention and Treatment
- Anatomical Design and Function
- Effective Exercise Selection
- Optimal Exercise Technique
- Core and Trunk Exercises
- Compound Lower Body Exercises
- Isolated Lower Body Exercises
- Upper Body Pushing Exercises
- Upper Body Pulling Exercises
- Program Planning
- Training techniques for strength, definition, and muscle size
- Functional training exercises using the stability ball, medicine balls, tubing and more
- Included are programs for base strength, full-body fitness, and advanced split routines that show you how to combine the exercises into progressive strength programs. By varying intensity, volume, recovery, and exercise sequencing, you can design customized programs for reaching both immediate and long-term training goals
- New information: including the consequences of exercise-induced muscle damage (rhabdomyolysis), devices used to track physical activity and estimate energy expenditure (e.g., accelerometers), relative flexibility and the role of lumbopelvic rhythm in back function, the importance of progression in an exercise prescription, and the professional standard of care associated with HIIT programs reflects recent topics of interest and research
- Updated statistics on CVD and CHD from the American Heart Association, adult and childhood obesity, and the prevalence of COPD, asthma, bronchitis, and emphysema ensure accurate representation of data
- Passing with 85% or higher. There is a $75.00 retest if the passing requirement is not met .
Showing reviews 1-10 of 16 | Next
Easy to Use
Posted by Unknown on 18th Aug 2017
The AFPA Personal Trainer Certification program has been very self-explanatory and easy to follow. The personal trainer quizzes and assignments are emailed to you within the first 5 days of purchasing the product. Your products arrive within the first week. It is self-pace, but the emailed directions are easy to follow and you have access to email an AFPA associate if you have any questions over the course! Overall great distribution and easy to follow steps to take in order to get your certification within months!
Just what I was looking for
Posted by Unknown on 12th Mar 2017
The information provided in the course is very good and useful to apply to what I am planning to do with the certification.
Loads of valuable information
Posted by Pradeep Mantri on 28th Dec 2016
I came to know about AFPA through Facebook.
It is worth buying. The books have a whole encyclopedia of knowledge presented well in an understandable manner. The one thing that I liked the most is it's case studies, you get to solve real life situations.
Posted by Unknown on 15th Dec 2016
Posted by Bonnie Wescott on 10th Oct 2016
I found the AFPA Personal Training Certification course and exam to be very informative and extremely valuable.
Posted by Carol Concorde on 6th Aug 2016
Lots of great information. I am hoping to become a personal trainer with MS leanings so I can assist my daughter-in-law who has MS after I complete my training.
Challenging, but Worth It!
Posted by Jay Marston on 17th Dec 2015
I found the AFPA Personal Training Certification course and exam to be very informative and extremely valuable as I begin my transition from an active adult/runner/coach to a fitness center owner and personal trainer of other adults and youth. The information is very detailed, but putting in the effort to learn the specifics is well worth it. I definitely plan to take other courses and pursue other certifications through AFPA.
Wanting to be a PT?
Posted by Julie on 23rd Sep 2015
This is an awesome course. I took my time since I have a child running around all the time. I have plenty of time left to complete it. I learned a lot from this book I didn't know even working out my whole life. The final test is awesome you have 230 questions open book and you can leave and finish up another day. This course is great will teach you everything you need to know and is the only option for someone with kids. Highly recommend this!! Oh as an added bonus I already have clients!!
I couldn't ask for more.
Posted by Jeromy on 21st Sep 2015
This Personal Trainer certification program is superb. It provides everything you need to go above and beyond as a fitness trainer.
Posted by Keyvan Kamooneh on 12th Jun 2015
Lots of great information. Glad to have it.
Showing reviews 1-10 of 16 | Next