16.0 CECs / Online / Test
This course is provided by GMP Fitness and endorsed by AFPA.
The Muscular Performance Self-Therapy Specialist course will teach you techniques to manage your trigger point muscular pain and how to develop a comprehensive self-care strategy to reduce discomfort and stiffness, restore function, increase range of motion and improve strength, posture and balance. You will also learn how to expedite the recovery process and return your soft tissue and muscles to a healthy, flexible state with a brief treatment of muscle maintenance (also known as self-myofascial release).
What are trigger points and why are they preventing you and your clients from reaching your physical potential? Trigger points are hyper-irritable spots in skeletal muscle that are associated with palpable nodules in taut bands of muscle fibers. Doctors who specialize in pain treatment suggest that these trigger points are the cause for about seventy-five percent of chronic pain cases. Those who can perform trigger point self-therapy can help relieve that discomfort.
The Muscular Performance Self-Therapy Course is for Professionals, Self-Care Enthusiasts, Athletes and anyone who wants solutions to keep their musculoskeletal health.
- On completion of this course, you will have total comprehension of anatomy, muscles and fascia, a thorough understanding of trigger points and how and where they refer pain, and information on injury prevention and multiple kinds of chronic pain disorders that can be improved by self-care.
- Students will be able to identify the areas of the body that may be restraining function.
- Students will have knowledge of self-myofascial release techniques to restore and renew the areas (tissues) of the body that are limiting function.
- Students will be able to find and self-treat trigger points in the muscles throughout the body with the help of many illustration.
- Students will be able to create their own complete self-myofascial release program.
- Students will learn appropriate stretches to aide in successful deactivation of trigger points.
Key Topic Areas:
- Gain a thorough understanding of the myofascial anatomy, muscles and fascia.
- Learn what trigger points are and how they refer pain.
- Explore basic and more advanced trigger point self-care.
- Learn basic self-massage tips for myofascial trigger points.
- Understand what makes trigger points difficult.
- Gain knowledge of deep muscle self-care.
- Master stretching after self-care.
- Master stretching for injury prevention.
- Explore why trigger points may explain many severe and strange aches and pains.
- Learn medical factors that perpetuate pain.
- Develop complete self-myofascial release programs.
- Examine solutions to repetitive overuse injuries for office workers, dentists and dental hygienists, factory workers, musicians, artisans, skilled laborers, etc.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Personal Trainer Certification and a current CPR recommended.
Course Level/Completion Time:
- Advanced / 40+ hours to complete
- 260-Page Book
- Muscular Performance Self-Therapy CD
Muscular Performance Self-Therapy Specialist Approved CECs/CEUs:
- America Fitness Professionals Association—AFPA—23.00
- American College on Sports Medicine—ACSM—23.00
- The Cooper Institute—CI—23.00
- International Sports Sciences Association—ISSA—23.00
- National Academy of Sports Medicine—NASM—1.9
- National Council on Strength and Fitness—NCSF—8.00
- National Strength Professionals Association—NSPA—23.00
Muscular Performance Self-Therapy Specialist Course 5-Star Reviews:
- “The information within the course was complete, useful and well supported. The pictures in the manual are amazing and complement the overall layout of the course. I appreciated the links which provided a means for additional learning. The authors presented the material in an organized, in-depth, yet easy to understand manner. It has been a pleasure corresponding with Gina. She is compassionate, knowledgeable and professional, as demonstrated through her materials, inspirational tips and prompt responses. Professionals and clients will benefit from tissue therapy as a means for postural enhancement, pain reduction, injury prevention and overall well-being. This course is certainly one I will recommend to fellow therapists and trainers."
- "I look forward to personally applying and educating others on the importance of muscle therapy. The fact that we can learn to manage our discomfort is empowering. It has been a true blessing gaining these new insights. I am grateful for this course."
- "I look forward to sharing the information with colleagues and clients. In the future, I intend to teach classes to share the knowledge I have obtained. As a Personal Trainer, Yoga Instructor and Physical Therapist Assistant, I have the privilege of working with a very diverse group. I train and treat individuals of all ages and abilities. The Foam Roller, Tiger Stick and the Back Knobber, along with other useful pieces of equipment, will serve as great tools for my patients, clients and students."
- "I have gained an understanding of the complexity of the tissues within the body, along with the ability to properly and conscientiously care for them."
- "The information has already proven to be of great importance in the Physical Therapy Clinic. Each day I work with individuals with various injuries and musculoskeletal complaints. I am now equipped to provide an explanation of the nature of trigger points, how to prevent them and provide self-care. Until this point I was manually releasing trigger points for my patients. Now I will encourage individuals to use foam rollers and massage tools as a means for proper management of their tissues.” - Desiree Nowaczyk, Physical Therapist Assistant, Yoga Instructor, ACE Certified Personal Trainer, Green Living Coach, and Holistic Life Coach
- “A great tool I use all the time. The textbook is fabulous and easy to follow. Each time I use it I gain more insight and knowledge. I can apply the knowledge from this course to my daily work. This course gives trainers the additional tools they need to help their clients and members overcome their muscular issues. Once we help our members and clients get better, they can return to normal function and back into the gym. I highly recommend this course. The topic is advanced, but every trainer and therapist should have this in their library." - Grace Power, General Manager and ACE/ACSM Certified Trainer, Corporate Fitness Site
- “Wonderful course! A much greater understanding of how pain effects the body. And how to get rid of that pain!! This stuff WORKS!"
- "It’s one of the best continuing education courses I have taken recently. I will use it on my massage therapy and personal training clients, and I will educate them in this type of self-care! Wonderful course! If more personal training clients were interested in incorporating this type of work into their sessions, I think they would retain more clients. Giving your clients a great workout is only part of the battle. Personal trainers have to bring something special to their sessions beyond just a great workout and solid nutritional education. They need to prove to their clients that they care about their entire well-being. This is a HUGE part of well-being and a HUGE way to show your clients that you truly care about them feeling their best and being pain-free!!! Not to mention, you’re more likely to workout when you’re not in pain!” - Cori Morse, Massage Therapist and ACE Certified Trainer
- “Great course, very educational with a lot of information on self-help and pain management. I enjoyed learning about trigger points and experimented with myself. I learned that my back pain may be triggered by my calves, and that is a sensitive area for me. I liked learning about where the trigger points are located and being offered a few options as to where the pain may be coming from. I have learned that sometimes pain does not always stem from the area it is located. Pain can manifest in different parts of the body for many different reasons. I’ve gained the knowledge to help clients identify where their pain may be stemming from and how they can help them treat it. This course helped outline different approaches to identify trigger points in the muscles and treat pain non-invasively and with varied techniques (e.g., foam roller, tennis ball, etc.).” - Alicia D'Alliessa, ACE Certified Trainer, Corporate Fitness Site
- “Great information for any fitness professional to add to their knowledge base regarding pain and trigger points with great techniques to self-care. This course has expanded my knowledge as a trainer to better educate my clientele about pain, trigger points and ways clients can help themselves with self-healing techniques. I gained knowledge about trigger points in what causes them and how to identify and deactivate them. Also many effective ways of self-healing techniques.” - Cassandra Henkiel, ACE Certified Trainer, Master Trainer
- “I look forward to personally applying and educating others on the importance of muscle therapy. The fact that we can learn to manage our discomfort is empowering. It has been a true blessing gaining these new insights. I am grateful for this course." - D.N.
- Wonderful course! A much greater understanding of how pain effects the body. And how to get rid of that pain!! This stuff WORKS! It’s one of the best courses I have taken. I will educate my massage therapy and personal training clients in this type of self-care!” - C.M.