Train Athletes To Be The BestBecome a Certified Functional Training Specialist in 6 months or less.
Perhaps you are already training clients as a Certified Personal Trainer, and now you’re looking to stand out from other fitness professionals.
Boosting your expertise with specialized credentials in functional training will enable you to expand your services and programs to athletes and competitive sports enthusiasts as well as help to increase your earning potential.
This comprehensive program is designed to educate you on industry-leading functional training protocols to improve total athleticism; enhance performance; train to perform at the highest level with the lowest risk of injury; and produce the best results on the court, field, track, and mat (not just in the weight room).
What’s It Like Being A Functional Training Specialist?
You play an integral and supportive role in the development of a competitive athlete.
That’s why you need to learn the key concepts, proven methods, exercises, and functional training programs that maximize athletes’ movements in competition.
As an AFPA Certified Functional Training Specialist, you’ll have the skills and confidence to:
- Develop safe, functional exercise progressions based on the unique needs of each client
- Work with athletes and non-athletes on balancing upper body strength and core stability
- Recognize and instruct on how to restore hip extension flexibility and balance hamstring flexibility
- Apply and implement functional exercises to improve overall performance in both athletics and everyday living
- Differentiate between exercise variations using equipment commonly found in both the weight room and field situations
- Construct various functional training programs based on goals, skills, and sport
Join over 119,000 AFPA certified professionals worldwide.With a 26-year legacy of accredited expertise, AFPA is a frontrunner in elite fitness and wellness programs. We’re proud to offer the best variety of flexible, affordable, and accessible programs on the market.
Study Anywhere At Your Own Pace
Enjoy the freedom to study on your own time from anywhere in the world.
Study guidelines and schedules are provided to help keep you on track. Take the test online when you’re ready!
Affordable and Flexible Payment Options
Get certified without breaking the bank.
Our certifications cost significantly less than degree programs, so they’re affordable programs with minimum financial risk.Financing options are available for all AFPA certification programs.
Kickstart Your Career with Included Client Resources
Support doesn’t stop once you’re certified.
You get exclusive access to bonus resources so that you have a solid foundation to start your career as a Functional Training Specialist.
All Learning Materials Included
Your tuition covers everything.
All Course Materials
Business Resources Included
Upon enrollment, we provide you with exclusive resources to help you establish, optimize, grow and build your functional training business.
Unlimited Student Support
Call, email, or chat with our educational advisors as often as you need before, during, and even after enrollment.
What You’ll Get:
- All course materials
- 2 course textbooks
- Written final exam
- Exercises and progressions for 11 sports and 135 exercises, including body weight, bands and pulleys, dumbbells and kettlebells, medicine balls, and stability balls
- Sample functional training programs
A Look Inside The Curriculum:
This program will show you exactly how to design effective functional training plans that suit the specific needs and goals for specific athletes. You’ll learn:
Functional Training Defined
illustrate how functional fitness exercises train your muscles to work together to give you the mobility, strength, and core stability you need to thrive in everyday life and in sports performance. Topics include:
- Foundations of functional training
- Performance continuum
- Making your training more functional
Analyzing the Demands of Your Sport
Learn the three-tier approach for integrating functional movements into an existing strength program. Through assessment and analysis, you’ll identify the movements and muscles involved in your sport, then select the best exercises and programs based on desired results and performance goals. In addition to quick exercise sequences and personalized programming, more comprehensive programs can be developed to address your athletic and performance needs and goals. Topics include:
- Assessing your functional strength
- Designing your program
- Foam rolling, stretching and dynamic warm-up
Essential Functional Exercises
Compares and contrasts foundational functional exercises with more complex and hybrid exercises, while considering when to use each in your programming. Topics include:
- Pure functional programs
- Hybrid programming
- Sport-specific programs
- Performance training programs
- Lower body, upper body and core training
- Plyometric training
- Olympic lifting
“I absolutely LOVE this course! I am about a 25% of the way through the course and the information is LIFE-CHANGING! I cannot wait to implement the content into the lives of my patients/clients and see them heal from the inside out.”
Is This Program Right For Me?
You’re looking in the right place if you:
- Find it incredibly rewarding help others develop high-intensity fitness skills, safely and effectively reach new personal records, and improve their overall health and wellness.
- Seek easy entry. Most graduates complete this certification in less than 6 months. Learning is divided into a digestible digital format, so you’ll put your expertise into practice faster and start help clients sooner. Also? You’ll save tens of thousands of dollars in the process.
- Crave flexible job opportunities. Whether working in group settings or one-on-one, for yourself or at a gym, athletic department or for a professional sports team - the possibilities are endless when you’re AFPA certified.
Are There Payment Plans?Absolutely!
Pick the loan that fits your budget and make payments over three, six, or 12 months. Our payment plans offer instant approval and are safe and secure.Learn more
Do I Qualify?
To enroll in the Functional Training Specialist Certification Program, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
Have a solid understanding of the English language.
- Hold a Personal Trainer Certification or equivalent highly recommended.
- You need a minimum final exam grade of 85% to pass.
A $75.00 retest fee will apply.
After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Functional Training Specialist” on your certificate.