8.0 CEC's / Book / CEC Exam
Fueling Young Athletes breaks down the nutrition needs of young athletes and explains how the latest research supports everyday nutrition concepts that maximize adolescent growth and development. You’ll analyze current eating habits and preferences and how and where these can be improved. You’ll learn how healthier meals and snacks can equate to improved performance while still being convenient and appetizing. Best of all, you’ll find a collection of easy recipes for smoothies and sport drinks, all with common ingredients and nutrition information.
At the completion of the young athletes nutrition course, you will be able to do the following:
• Understand the different stages of development that teenage boys and girls undergo.
• Identify the six essential nutrients and their role in day-to-day nutrition.
• Understand and calculate hydration needs for young athletes.
• Determine objectives and create strategies for weight gain and weight loss in young athletes.
• Understand the importance of fueling the body before, during, and after training or competition.
• Understand and identify the most popular types of supplements being used by young athletes and their harmful drawbacks or potential benefits for the young athlete.
• Identify and define disordered eating and eating disorders.
• Create a personal meal plan to meet daily needs.
• Identify and create strategies to overcome barriers to healthy eating with young athletes.
The study guide includes a course syllabus, learning objectives, learning activities, and a referenced answer key and highlights the key concepts of the book in order to prepare individuals to pass the 50-question exam (composed of multiple-choice and true-or-false questions) at the end of the course.