16.0 CEC's / Book / CEC Exam
Exercise Programs for Osteoporosis Prevention course is designed to give you a comprehensive overview of factors related to bone health, with specific emphasis on exercise for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. The course outlines training protocols, specific programming, and motivational strategies that will help your clients achieve optimal bone health. Information in the Exercise Programs for Osteoporosis Prevention course is based on the University of Arizona Bone Estrogen Strength Training (BEST) study, which identified the most effective exercises for preventing osteoporosis and improving bone mineral density in postmenopausal women.
The Bone Estrogen Strength Training (BEST) study, funded by the National Institute of Health, identified the six BEST exercises that are the most effective for preventing osteoporosis and improving bone mineral density in postmenopausal women. In this book, the BEST team of researchers lay out the six BEST exercises, training protocols and specific programming and motivational strategies to help women adhere to a lifetime of exercise for bone health. The book has seven parts: ABCs of Osteoporosis, Osteoporosis Screening, Exercise & Osteoporosis Prevention, The BEST Exercise Program, The BEST Intervention & Support Program, Nutrition & Osteoporosis, Medical Intervention & Osteoporosis. This information packed book is geared toward the health care professional and anyone interested in an evidence-based bone health training program.
- After completing this course, you will be able to do the following:
- Define osteoporosis.
- Recognize that medical therapy, nutrition, exercise, and other lifestyle practices can help prevent and treat osteoporosis.
- Outline the primary and secondary risk factors for osteoporosis.
- Identify dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and ultrasonometry as devices for assessing bone mass, bone strength, and fracture risk.
- Explain the importance of physical activity for bone growth and maintenance of bone mass and density.
- Describe the goals of an exercise program for osteoporosis prevention.
- List exercise-training principles and explain their application to program design for osteoporosis prevention.
- Explain the six BEST strengthening exercises for osteoporosis prevention.
- Explain stretching, abdominal strengthening, posture exercises, and cardio weight-bearing activities for optimal bone health and osteoporosis prevention.
- Outline the strategies used to maintain high exercise adherence.
- Highlight the key factors to create a sustainable osteoporosis prevention program.
- Identify the function of nutrients and food components related to bone health throughout the life cycle.
- Describe nutrient and food components that positively and negatively influence bone health.
- Identify the medications currently approved for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
- Explain the mechanisms of action, and role of each class of medication used in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
This continuing education course for health and fitness professionals, physical therapists, and athletic trainers working with clients who are at risk for or have osteopenia or osteoporosis.