Learn how to become an Aquatic Fitness Instructor and teach aquatics on the pool deck or in the water to all fitness levels!
The AFPA Aquatic Fitness Instructor Certification course is designed to prepare participants for designing challenging and effective aquatic classes for a variety of individuals. Learn how to design workouts for different water depths, teach students how to control their own exercise intensity, use many different kinds of equipment, organize routines to create classes that run smoothly, and design routines for those people who are just starting to exercise and those who are seasoned water exercise veterans. Water exercise is a popular choice for many people and an excellent way to create a fitness program that will get people started and keep them exercising for a lifetime!
Aquatic Instructor Certification Course Learning Objectives:
- Describe the components of an effective and healthy teaching philosophy.
- Explain where water exercise fits into the health care continuum.
- Identify exercise science and training principles of cardiorespiratory endurance training.
- Define key terms and concepts relating to anatomy and biomechanics.
- Examine the physical environment of water, comparing land to water.
- Apply the properties of water to class design.
- Define fundamental skills used for balance and safety.
- Examine training guidelines targeting specific training objectives.
- Discuss four important components in water fitness programs.
- Examine workout essentials and training options using a blueprint to design effective classes in shallow, transitional, and deep water.
- Review a number of evaluation questions that can assist instructors in choosing and using equipment for specific exercises, sets and programs.
- Describe the exercise modifications for older adults and those with various limitations and medical conditions.
- Demonstrate a safe, effective and sound water exercise program from land and/or water with modifications.
Aquatic Instructor Certification Course Topics Include, but Are Not Limited To:
- Program Development and Leadership
- Leadership Principles for Instructors
- Water Exercise Program Safety
- Healthy Lifestyle and Fitness Principles
- Healthy Lifestyle Principles
- Fitness Principles
- Fundamentals of Water Exercise
- What Research Reveals About Water Exercise
- Physical Laws and Properties of Water
- Fundamental Skills and Exercise Design
- Specificity of Training and Training Guidelines
- Water Fitness Class Design
- Designing a Workout: A “Blueprint” for Success!
- Teaching Responsively
- Progressing Your Programs: Equipment and Advanced Formats
- Responsive Programs for Participants with Individual Challenges
- Functional Training for Healthy Living on Land
- Exercise Considerations for Older Adults
- Guidelines for Working with Special Populations
- Guidelines for Functional Fitness Assessments
- Program Forms
- Additional Workouts
- Poolside Cue Cards
Aquatic Therapy and Rehabilitation Module:
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Swim Stroke Training and Modification for Rehabilitation
- Specialized Aquatic Cardiovascular Training
- Neuromuscular Training
- Upper-Quarter Musculoskeletal Training
- Lower-Quarter Musculoskeletal Training
- Case Scenarios of Individuals with Specific Needs
- Includes a DVD that demonstrates nearly half of the book’s exercises and highlights key points for each.
- The DVD also contains printable evaluation sheets that will help you identify your clients’ needs, evaluate specific therapies based on those needs, and choose the best therapies for your clients.
Aquatic Fitness Instructor Certification Course Includes:
- No Travel Is Necessary
- Study at Your Own Pace
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- All Learning Materials Included - 2 Instructional Textbooks, Instuctional DVD with printable forms
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees - All materials and examination included
- Weekly AFPA eNews with latest health and fitness trends
- Upon successful course completion your certificate will read “Certified Aquatic Fitness Instructor “.
- Comprehensive manuals and non-proctored exam.
- Submit exam by mail or email.
Requirements for Enrollment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Self-paced, self-study, test when you are ready
- After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Aquatic Fitness Instructor” on your certificate.
- Passing a final exam with a minimum score of 85%. There is a $75.00 retest fee.