AFPA is dedicated to making fitness a lifelong habit for our youth and you can too by completing the AFPA Youth Fitness Specialist Certification course. This course goes beyond exercise to promote healthy lifestyle choices and appropriate social behavior, but also addresses the increased incidence of obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cholesterol levels and sedentary lifestyles among children and how you can play an integral part in the prevention of these diseases.
According to the American Diabetes Association, type 2 diabetes is ever more commonly occurring in overweight children. Statistics indicate that as many as 80 percent of youth may be overweight when diagnosed. Adult health risk factors are appearing in kindergarten to age six populations. These medical conditions have become an epidemic and AFPA is leading the fight by providing educational programming to fitness enthusiasts who are eager help our children toward leading a more healthy life!
The AFPA Youth Fitness Specialist Certification course will show you how to get kids fit and gain self confidence too. It’s about giving kids the tools, skills and experience so they can lead a physically active life the rest of their life.
AFPA Certified Youth Fitness Specialist provides a multidisciplinary approach to teaching health-related fitness at the elementary school level. This comprehensive Certified Youth Fitness Specialist course helps practitioners build successful programs that will meet the challenging health demands of the 21st century.
Youth Fitness Specialist Certification Course Includes:
- No Travel Is Necessary
- Study at your own pace
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- All Learning Materials Included - 2 Textbooks, 2 DVDs, lesson plans, activities and more
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees - All materials and examination included
- Weekly AFPA eNews with latest health and fitness trends
- Member Discount offers
- AFPA offers many fitness specialty and advanced certification programs when you are ready to expand your career options in the fitness field
Youth Fitness Specialist Certification Course Learning Objectives:
- Develop competitive games and activities based on individual’s skill levels.
- Create a safe environment for children exercising in larger groups.
- Examine motivational techniques to encourage children to exercise and be physically active.
- Administer proper strength and endurance training to minimize injury and increase overall performance.
- Construct a plan of action for involving larger groups of children into an organized, safe and fun activity.
- Differentiate between exercises to enhance sports specific skills and those to enhance physical wellness.
- Construct proper workouts for kids based on the sports and activities they participate in or may like.
- Design cardio-vascular programs to improve over-all health while minimizing children’s risk for obesity and cardio-vascular disease.
- Determine strength levels of children with safe tests for further exercise recommendations.
Youth Fitness Specialist Certification Course Topics include the following:
- Foundations of Fitness Education
- Surgeon General’s Report on Physical Activity and Health
- Health Assessment/Authentic Assessment
- Behavioral Change and Motivational Strategies
- Motivational Strategies
- Teaching Strategies
- The Spectrum of Teaching Style
- Class Structure
- Principles of Health-Related Physical Fitness
- Fitness Education for Children With Physical Disabilities
- Getting Parents and Your Community Involved
Planning and Teaching Fitness Education
- Fitness Education Lessons
- Teaching Health-Related Physical Fitness Concepts
- Strategies for Teaching Fitness Concepts
- Collaborating With the Classroom Teacher
- Health-Related Physical Fitness Classroom Activities
- Developmental Exercises
- Cardiorespiratory Endurance
- Muscular Strength and Muscular Endurance
- Exercises to Avoid
- Active Games
- Dance and Rhythmic Activities
- Planning Developmentally Appropriate Activities
- School-Wide Event
- Fitness Field Day
- School Health Fair
- Jump Rope for Heart, Hoops for Heart, and Step for Heart
- Holiday Classics
Special features of the Youth Fitness Specialist Certification Course:
- A sample yearly plan and lesson plans
- A sample thematic unit
- 17 learning activities for integrating specific fitness concepts into your classes
- More than 100 developmental exercises, games, and dance and rhythmic activities
- 11 organized events that could be used for studios, community centers & schools
- Reproducible instructional materials
- Sample letters and contracts
- Authentic assessment instruments
- Fitness education portfolio
- Task card samples
- Motivational strategies
- Guidelines for including children with disabilities
- Comprehensive manuals, video lessons, and written exam. Submit exam by mail or email.
- Passing exam with 85% or higher. Two attempts at the exam are given.
- Self-paced, self-study, complete your course within 6 months or less
- After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Youth Fitness Specialist”
Requirements for enrollment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma, GED or International equivalent
- $75.00 retest fee applies if the passing requirement is not met at the end of the second exam attempt.