The AFPA Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification program will teach you to give educated guidance to persons seeking nutritional advice on weight management and enhancing health and fitness performance. You will learn the fundamental skills of counseling strategies and protocol, complimented by action-based worksheets and practical case studies. Learn how to effectively communicate with clients to reach their desired goals.
- Online Testing Option – Immediate results and credential (Mail in option also available.)
ONLINE TEST - Submit your assignments and final examination online and receive your results immediately!
MAIL-IN TEST - Not comfortable with online testing? We have you covered. Select the Mail-in testing option, no internet access required.
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- Study at Your Own Pace - Course Study Guidelines and Completion Schedule to stay on track
- All Learning Materials - 2 Certification & Consulting textbooks & 2 Instructional DVD’s
- Counseling & Lifestyle Management Forms for Starting Your Own Business
- Worksheets and Questionnaires to document and assess counseling sessions
- FREE Forms, Worksheets and Checklists provided are perforated for easy duplication
- Practice Quizzes - Self assessments to test progress
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees - All materials and examination included
- Accreditation - Nationally accredited by AADP and ANMCB
- Weekly Newsletter - AFPA eNews with latest health and fitness trends
- Member Discount Offers
- NO Travel Necessary
The role of a Nutrition & Wellness Consultant:
- A Nutrition & Wellness Consultant assists clients in healthy eating habits and meeting their weight management and nutritional goals.
- A Nutrition & Wellness Consultant offers a sound nutritional plan.
- A Nutrition & Wellness Consultant should advise and present a balanced nutritional strategy.
- A Nutrition & Wellness Consultant is effective in discussing and advising on weight management plans.
- A Nutrition & Wellness Consultant offers nutritional plans for optimizing health.
Opportunities in the Nutrition and Wellness field:
- Nutrition and Wellness Consulting – private consulting services for individuals with weight issues, lack of energy, or physical illness
- Food Supplement Sales – vitamin, mineral and supplement distributors rely on educated nutrition sales consultants to market and sell their products
- Nutrition and Wellness Writer – many magazines accept and pay for articles for publication
- Corporate Wellness Centers – many corporations have wellness programs that include nutritional consulting and personal training
- Weight Loss Centers – Diet centers and Weight management organizations seek educated consultants to assists in management of clients, facilities and support meetings
- The facility may have a current client base that you can consult with to help them obtain their goals
- Health Food and Nutrition Retail Stores – natural food stores, organic markets and supplement stores employ staff with an education in nutrition and wellness
- Nutrition and Wellness Education – provide nutrition education lectures at schools, recreation centers, community centers and special groups that seek information regarding nutrition and optimal health.
Nutrition & Wellness Accreditations & Board Certification:
*AFPA Nutrition & Wellness Consultant, Weight Management Consultant, Holistic Nutrition curriculum fully meets the American Naturopathic Medical Accreditation Board’s (ANMAB) Accreditation Board educational requirements. – See more at: www.anmab.org
Graduates of AFPA are eligible to apply to be a Board Certified Holistic Health Care Practitioners, Board Certified Nutritional Consultant or Board Certified Holistic Nutritionist through the American Naturopathic Medical Certification Board (ANMCB). www.anmcb.org.
**AFPA has been granted full board accreditation by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners. Graduates of AFPA with nutrition credentials are eligible to apply to be board certified holistic health care practitioners through the AADP. AFPA graduates qualify for Board Certification through the American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP). You may contact the AADP at 1-888-764-AADP.
Nutrition and Wellness Consultant Certification Course Learning Objectives:
- Define the major functions of the macro- and micro-nutrients as well as oxygen.
- Identify practical food sources of the macronutrients.
- Examine the effects of food choices on physical fitness and health.
- Discuss the principles of energy balance.
- Evaluate the use of various weight control diets to meet appropriate weight goals.
- Employ methods used to assess nutrition status.
- Explain how dietary recommendations are formulated.
- Examine methods used to carry out nutrition research.
- Distinguish sound nutritional information from unreliable nutritional information.
- Recognize appropriate behavioral change modifications and dietary approaches for different ages and populations.
- Construct a foundation for wellness nutrition based on current scientific research.
- Identify how to reinforce positive food habits and behaviors.
- Analyze the role of diet in causing and preventing various diseases, particularly chronic diseases.
- Recognize healthy diet and food choices, and explain why such choices will help prevent health problems.
- Formulate and design your own personalize meal plan and meal plans for clients.
- Examine common myths and fallacies concerning diet.
Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification Course Topics Include, but not limited to:
- The Art of Understanding Nutrition certification
- The Pursuit of an Ideal Diet
- The Carbohydrates: Sugar, Starch, and Fiber
- The Lipids: Fats and Oils
- The Proteins and Amino Acids
- The Vitamins
- Water and the Minerals
- Weight Management
- Nutrition certification and Fitness
- The Life Cycle: Conception Through the Later Years food Safety and the Global Food Supply
- Nutrition Resources
- An Introduction to the Human Body
- American Dietary Guidelines and Recommendations
- Canadian Dietary Guidelines and Recommendations
- Aids to Calculations
- Food Exchange Systems
- Chapter Notes
- Table of Food Composition
DVD/Audio Component; how nutrition affects the following:
- Heart Disease
- Kidney Failure
- Liver Failure
- Adverse Drug Reactions
- Boosting Immunity
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Essential Tremor
- Western Diseases
- Heart Disease is a Choice
- Atherosclerosis in Childhood
- Unclogging our Arteries
- Preventing Cervical Cancer
- Female Reproductive Health
- Male Reproductive Health
- Treating Constipation
- Starving Cancer Growth
- Treating Cancer with Plants
- Preventing Bladder Infections
- Preventing Food Poisoning
- Lifestyle Modification
- Effective Counseling Relationship
- Nutrition Counseling Skills
- The Counseling Interview
- Goal Setting
- Design a Plan of Action
- Dietary Assessment
- Energy Determinations, Physical Assessment, Documentation/Charting
- Strategies to Promote Change
- Making Behavior Change Last
- Role of A Nutrition Counselor in Physical Activity Counseling
- Ending the Counseling Relationship
- Professionalism in the Helping Relationship
- Group Counseling
- Lifestyle Management Forms
- Worksheets & Questionnaires to Document & Assess Counseling Sessions
- Forms and Checklists for Easy Duplication
Added Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification Course Features:
- Pictorial summaries found at the end of each chapter summarize the chapter’s main points using corresponding images-ideal for visual learners
- A new spotlight on cultural foods has been added to better represent the broadness of ethnic differences, food preferences, and dietary needs among consumers
- Completely updated, this course includes the latest research and data on DRIs, healthy fats, organic foods, athletes and supplements, nutrition and cancer, and more
- Also discussed are food selection and preparation tips to illuminate the ways in which the concepts of nutrition can be applied to everyday life. Students learn about making healthy food and lifestyle
- Concluding each chapter is a listing of pertinent Web sites, encouraging students to look beyond the text for additional, useful information
- Comprehensive manuals, video lessons, and online support material and self-assessment quizzes.
- Passing an online or mail-in exam with 85% or higher. Two attempts at the exam are given.
- $50 retest fee applies if the passing requirement is not met at the end of the second exam attempt.
- Approximately 100 hours (complete within 6 months of purchase)
- After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Nutrition & Wellness Consultant” on your certificate.
Requirements for enrollment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or GED
Continuing Education Credits/Units:
- 16.0 / 100 hours
- 16.0 CEC's
- Proof of CPR
I had an extremely positive and valuable experience during the AFPA certification process. I enjoyed the self-pacing aspect of the process and through the learning procedure was very thorough. I will be using the AFPA website as a reference for future questions that I will have.