The AFPA Functional Training Specialist Certification course is designed to educate you on the Functional Training protocols to improve total athleticism, enhances performance, and reduces injuries through exercise progressions that will spur development potential for specific movement patterns commonly use in sport. Completing this course will be a valuable additional credential for all Certified Personal Trainers, Fitness Instructors and those that work with athletes and sports enthusiasts. Expand your services and programs to include functional exercises for beginner, intermediate and advanced clients, and increase your earning potential at the same time!
What you will learn:
- You will learn how to administer tests to determine where to start, the progressions focus on training for the torso, the upper body, and the lower body. You will learn detailed programs that incorporate the exercises and methods for these progressions. Provided will be 13 sample exercise progressions (six for the upper body, three for the torso, and four for the lower body). Each progression has 17-23 exercises, arranged according to difficulty.
- You will also learn why it is important to have a sense of purpose for exercise selection and how functional exercises cross over to enhance the activities of daily living. A progressive functional continuum is presented and reviewed. The AFPA Functional Training Specialist Certification course is applicable for group instructors and personal trainers. Includes sample exercise progressions for upper body, lower body and the core body.
Requirements for enrollment:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma, GED or international equivalent
- Personal Trainer Certification, or simllar, highly recommended
Functional Training Specialist Certification Course Includes:
- No Travel Is Necessary
- Study at your own pace
- Test When You’re Ready – Complete examination anytime within 6 months from enrollment
- All Learning Materials Included - 2 Textbooks and 5 Instructional DVD's
- Unlimited Student Support – Before, during and after enrollment
- No Added Fees - All materials and examination included
- Weekly AFPA eNews with latest health and fitness trends
- Member Discount offers
- AFPA offers many fitness specialty and advanced certification programs when you are ready to expand your career options in the fitness field
Functional Training Specialist Certification Course Learning Objectives:
- Develop safe functional exercise progressions based on the unique needs of each client.
- Describe the benefits of exercise, and the applications to improve the ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Discuss how non-athletes and athletes can balance upper-body strength and stability.
- Illustrate lower body strength and balance progressions.
- Recognize how to restore hip extension flexibility and balance hamstring flexibility.
- Apply and implement functional exercises to improve overall performance in both athletics and everyday living.
- Differentiate between exercise variations using equipment commonly found in both the weight room and aerobic studio.
- Construct a Plyometric training program to increase power while reducing prevention.
Topics Covered in the Functional Training Specialist Certification Course:
- Assessing Your Functional Fitness
- Adding Functionality to Your Program
- Designing Your Program
- Linear and Lateral Warm-Up
- Integrated Training Progressions
- Upper Body Strength and Balance Progressions
- Lower-Body Strength and Balance Progressions
- Hip Extensions and Healthy Hamstrings
- Targeted Torso Training and Rotational Strength
- Balanced Upper-Body Strength and Stability
- Plyometric Training for Power and Injury Prevention
- Olympic Lifting for Quickness and Power
- Performance Enhancement Programs
Comprehensive manuals, video lessons, and non-proctored exam. Submit exam by mail or email.
- Self-paced, self-study, complete assignments and final exam when you're ready
- After successful completion, you will earn the title of “Certified Functional Training Specialist” on your certificate.
- Passing a final exam with 85% or higher. There is a retest fee of $75.00.